Status: 2 to 4 years contract
Dept/Faculty: CONNECT research centre, University of Dublin, Trinity College
Application closing date:until position filled
Starting salary: €37,750 – €42,394 (commensurate with experience)
Expected start date: January/February 2017
CONNECT (formerly CTVR – www.ctvr.ie) is Ireland’s largest telecommunications research centre. The Centre carries out industry-informed research focusing on wireless and optical networks of the future with a strong emphasis on the technologies that will underpin these networks. This position, under the direction of Dr. Marco Ruffini, is funded by Science Foundation Ireland (SFI).
A senior and a junior postdoctoral researcher position are available in virtualised software-defined-networks architectures, at the optical networking and communications laboratory of the CONNECT research centre, based in Trinity College Dublin. The position is funded by Science Foundation Ireland, and will be appointed as junior or senior post-doctoral researcher, depending on the candidate’s experience. The successful candidate will join a team of highly skilled and innovative researchers in the area of access network architectures.
The candidate must have a Ph.D. or equivalent technical experience in the area of Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field, with a track record of research in optical communications and networks. The candidate must be an independent researcher willing to take a leadership role in the optical and telecommunicaitons laboratory.
Desirable qualifications include:
- 3+ years experience in design and development of network virtualisation software architectures.
- Experience with protocols and architectures for passive optical networks and access networks is highly desirable.
- Good working knowledge of virtualisation software for cloud computing, cloud networking (openstack, OpenfFlow/SDN, Network Function Virtualisation)
- Good working knowledge of software programming languages (e.g., c++, python, matlab)
- Solid written and oral communications skills;
- It is expected that applicants with academic background will have:
- Established track record of publication in leading journals/conferences, on topics such as PON protocols, switching and routing, optical access and core networks;
- Proven experience in mentoring junior researchers, such as Ph.D. students.
The position entails the following duties:
- Lead the software and architectural development of an SDN-based framework for next generation access network architecture
- Preparation of project funding proposal at European and national level;
- Collaborate with other academic and industry partners;
- Co-supervision of PhD students.
Interested applicants should send a CV to Dr. Marco Ruffini (firstname.lastname@example.org) including contact information for at least two professional references.
Trinity College is the leading university in Ireland. CONNECT is Ireland’s largest telecommunications research centre. We carry out industry-informed research in the telecommunications field. We focus on optical and wireless networks of the future with a strong emphasis on the technologies that will underpin these networks. We pride ourselves in carrying out research that is of the highest quality and that has international impact. We also pride ourselves in being an inclusive, diverse, creative, and friendly place to work.