PhD student recruitment
Status: PhD studentship
Dept/Faculty: CONNECT / The Centre for Future Networks and Communications, Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin
Application closing date: until position filled
Salary: €18,000 net stipend per year, plus payment of PhD fees for EU citizens
Expected start date: December 2015
CONNECT (formerly CTVR – www.ctvr.ie) is Ireland’s largest telecommunications research centre. The Centre carries out industry-informed research focusing on wireless and optical networks of the future with a strong emphasis on the technologies that will underpin these networks. This position, under the direction of Dr. Marco Ruffini, is funded by Science Foundation Ireland (SFI).
- One PhD studentships in next-generation virtualised access networks based on Software Defined Network is available at CONNECT – The Centre for Future Networks and Communications, at Trinity College Dublin.
Positions are funded by the Science Foundation Ireland, and will be funded for 4 years. The candidate must have a Bachelor degree (Master preferred) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, or a related field, with a minimum mark of 2.1 (i.e. with a score higher than 60%). The successful candidate will join a team of highly skilled and innovative researchers in the area of access network architectures.
The PhD topics will focus on protocols for next-generation passive optical networks.
Desirable qualifications include:
- Strong background in network-oriented programming at the user and kernel level.
- Knowledge of layer2 and layer 3 switching/routing protocols.
- Working knowledge of programming languages such as c, c++, python, java and of Linux operating system.
- Experience with OpenFlow, SDN, NFV related project is desirable.
- Good written and oral communication skills
- The ability to work well in a group are also important requirements.
- Strong self motivation and willing to learn attitude.
Interested applicants should send a CV to Dr. Marco Ruffini (firstname.lastname@example.org) including contact information for at least two professional references.
Trinity College is the leading university in Ireland. CONNECT is Ireland’s largest telecommunications research centre. We carry out industry-informed research in the telecommunications field. We focus on optical and wireless networks of the future with a strong emphasis on the technologies that will underpin these networks. We pride ourselves in carrying out research that is of the highest quality and that has international impact. We also pride ourselves in being an inclusive, diverse, creative, and friendly place to work.